3 10-inch cake pans, buttered with parchment
1 large bowl
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups sugar
- 12 oz. citrus-flavored olive oil
- 10 oz. milk
- 2 oz. fresh citrus juice (orange, lime or lemon)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 oz. almond flour
For the Italian Meringue (makes one qt.):
- 1 egg whites
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- In large bowl whisk eggs, sugar, oil, milk and juice. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder adn salt. Mix dry into wet until well blended. Fold in almond flour.
- In cake pans, bake at 350° for 1 hour. Cool on rack.
For the Italian Meringue:
- Bring sugar and water to a boil (in sauce pan), cover and cook for three minutes.
- Whisk the whites in mixer until foamy. Slowly pour hot sugar into whites. Mix until it forms peaks.